Inga's Indulgence


Friday, September 23, 2011

Hot Stuff

As a new mom tied down with responsibilities, you're not really able to do a lot of the things you used to. That's why it's important to focus on the little things that make you happy, whether it's a mocha latte, or even a shower that lasts more than 5 minutes.
My small guilty pleasure happens to be spicy food. I don't know why, but a bite of spice makes me feel like I'm living on the wild side. Pretty pathetic huh? You take what you can get...

Spicy Chicken Coconut Curry
(yield: 5-6 servings)


1 tbsp canola oil
1 small yellow onion, small dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-inch knob of ginger, julienned
1 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
13.6 oz can coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
4 oz white button mushrooms, quartered
1 yellow bell pepper, medium dice
1 red bell pepper, medium dice
8 oz canned sliced bamboo shoots
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch strips

Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Saute the onions, garlic, and ginger 2-3 minutes. Stir in Thai red curry paste, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Cook for another minute. Stir in coconut milk and chicken stock.

Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and gently place the remaining ingredients into the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15-17 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Adjust seasoning with salt if necessary. Serve over Jasmine or Basmati rice.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this curry sounds amazing!! I wish I had a delicious bowl of this for my dinner tonight.

    PS...I remember those days when a long shower was a treat! You savor every bit of that rare "me" time :)

    ReplyDelete