Inga's Indulgence


Saturday, January 22, 2011

Will Coconut Milk do the Trick?


Today, I decided to tackle one part of my mission to make pregnancy-safe versions of my sister's favorite foods - ice cream and sushi. I continued to explore alternatives to the typically used creme anglaise base. The fact that I was stuck in the house all day without a car or a babysitter did limit me in terms of the ingredients I was going to use. I raided my pantry, and found several things for making sorbet. But that was too easy. My pregnant sister wanted ice cream - creamy, rich, decadent ice cream, not sorbet. And when I saw a can of coconut milk in my pantry, I was sure that ice cream was exactly what she would get.

Really Rocky Road Coconut Milk Ice Cream

Really Rocky Road Coconut Milk Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart

2, 14-oz cans unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
7 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 cup mini marshmallows

1. Place coconut milk and sugar into a saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches faint simmer. Remove pan from heat and whisk in almond extract and 4 oz of the chocolate.

2. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Chill in freezer for 1 1/2-2 hours. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream machine and prepare according to manufacturer's instructions (my cuisinart took about 15 minutes). Add remaining 2 ounces of chopped chocolate, almonds and marshmallows to the ice cream right before turning machine off. Transfer ice cream to a container and freeze.

Once frozen, this ice cream becomes very hard, so make sure to thaw it before serving. For best indulging experience, serve half melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment