Inga's Indulgence


Thursday, June 16, 2011

1, 2...Did someone say chicken?

I love to cook, it's my life. Once in a while, however, there are days when I shamefully glance toward the infamous take-out menu drawer. The truth is, and listen carefully when I say this, NOTHING GOOD CAN EVER COME FROM TAKE-OUT!

I don't care if you order from the best restaurant in town, take-out sucks. If you want to go out for a bite when you've got the cooking blues, by all means do it, but please do yourself a favor and don't order in.

Why am I so adamant about this topic? First of all, ordering in results in unhealthy eating the majority of the time. Think about it, when you decide to order in, what are the first few options that come to mind - pizza and Chinese food. Don't even try to deny it. Okay, maybe you'll go for a slightly healthier alternative like sushi (which may not be that healthy after-all) or a salad. But do you really want to feast on raw fish or a salad that's been hauled around for X amount of minutes, or even hours? Ordering food to go while it should be served as soon as it's prepared, compromises its integrity and quality, and for the most part, leaves you unsatisfied in the end.

So, today when I was about to fall pray to the take-out drawer, I stopped myself. Instead, I made something fresh so fast that my meal was done before I had even realized that there was cooking involved. It was delicious, filling, healthy, and best of all it wasn't a big deal.

Chicken a la "Snap"
(yield: 3-4 servings)
1 tbsp olive oil 
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch strips
salt & pepper, to taste
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cups arugula

Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Once pan is hot, add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides. Lower heat and add onions, saute 2-3 minutes. Add marinara sauce and oregano. Simmer 6-7 minutes.
Stir in balsamic vinegar and arugula, and cook just until the arugula wilts. Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment